Ramadan Blessings
David Dalton
2024-03-12 04:07:46 UTC
Ramadan Blessings to any Muslim readers.

Since it is now very early waxing crescent, the following
may be of interest:

The Silver Bough thumb

Once in 1997 I thumbed at random a book on Scottish folklore called The
Silver Bough Vol. 1 by F. Marian McNeill. It came out to a page with this
poem on it:

Ri faicinn domh na gealaich uir,
Is duth domh mo shuil a thogail.
Is duth domh ma ghlun a leagail,
Is duth domh mo cheann a bhogadh,

Toir cliu dhuit fein, a re nan iul,
Gum faca mi thu a rithist,
Gum faca mi a ghealach ur,
Ailleagan iuil na slighe.

Is iomadh neach a chaidh a null
Eadar uine an da ghealaich,
Ged tha mise a' mealtainn fuinn,
A re nan re 's nam beannachd!

which translates as:

When I see the new moon,
It becomes me to lift mine eye,
It becomes me to bend my knee,
It becomes me to bow my head.

Giving thee praise, thou moon of guidance,
That I have seen thee again,
That I have seen the new moon,
The lovely leader of the way.

Many a one has passed beyond
In the time between the two moons,
Though I am still enjoying earth,
Thou moon of moons and of blessings!

Now I have been told that that poem is of Christian origin
but have speculated that it might have earlier Scottish
pagan roots. In any case, I now hope for blessings
for everyone in the world.
--
David Dalton ***@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill;
And the hill is shifting sand; And inside these laws we stand" (Ferron)
David Dalton
2024-03-14 04:42:56 UTC
Post by David Dalton
[...]
I saw the waxing crescent for the first time this lunar
month on Tuesday evening.

My latest attempt to instigate a global new age is described
on the thread “St.Patrick’s Week attempt” on alt.religion.druid
for anyone who might be interested (more likely if you notice
effects, such as improved sexual compatibility, or charisma
modulation). I am hoping it will be complete by first
quarter moon, when the moon will be split in half
(into a light D-moon and a dark reverse-D-moon).
David Dalton
2024-03-16 01:46:03 UTC
Post by David Dalton
[...]
March 15 is The International Day to Combat Islamophobia.